Open Menu Close Menu Open Search Close Search

Domestic US Travel

Domestic travel within the US (including Puerto Rico and Guam) does not require you to have a valid visa or other international travel documents. However, if you are traveling outside your immediate residential area, you should carry your original travel documents for identification purposes, which may be needed for boarding your flight or embarking on a train ride. These may include:

  • Your passport
  • A printout of your Form I-94 arrival/departure record, which you can print out from the US Customs and Border Protection's I-94 lookup site
  • Your Form I-20 (for F-1 students) or Form DS-2019 (J-1 students and scholars)
  • Other evidence of your immigration status and activity at Tufts

Travel near the US Border with Canada and Mexico: The US Border Patrol periodically conducts checkpoints within 100 miles of the US border with Canada and Mexico. These checkpoints may take place on highways or on buses traveling near the border. If you are traveling within these zones, carry your original travel documents as listed above. View this web site for more information about border zone checks.

Travel to Canada / Mexico / Caribbean with Expired Visa

Under US rules concerning the "automatic revalidation of visa validity," you may be able to exit and return to the US on the basis of an expired non-immigrant visa if your travel meets the following requirements:

  • You are traveling directly to and returning directly from the "continguous territories" of Canada and Mexico, or one of the "adjacent islands" of the Caribbean except Cuba
  • Your trip will last 30 days or less
  • You have a US non-immigrant visa, even if expired
  • You possess a valid I-94 arrival/departure record or I-797 approval notice indicating your current valid non-immigrant status (e.g., F-1, J-1, H-1B)
  • The purpose of your visit is NOT to apply for a new non-immigrant visa at a US consulate in one of those destinations (automatic revalidation does not apply if you are making a visa application)
  • You are not from a country currently listed by the US Department of State as a state sponsor of terrorism - citizens from these countries must have a valid US visa to re-enter

To return, you must also have required accompanying documents such as a valid I-20 or DS-2019 with a travel signature, or an I-797 approval notice showing that you have been approved for H-1B or O-1 status. You should carry a copy of your I-94 showing your existing status so that you can be re-admitted back into the US.

Note: H-1B and O-1 visa holders can take advantage of automatic revalidation of visa validity for Canada and Mexico only. Return trips from the adjacent islands of the Caribbean require a valid US entry visa.

If you are planning a trip to Canada, please keep in mind that you may need to apply for a Canadian visa, since Canada maintains its own visa and immigration requirements. The International Center is unable to advise on how to apply for a Canadian visa, but you can research Canadian visa requirements and application procedures by clicking on the link.