As a J-1 student, you are required to follow certain rules in order to maintain valid immigration status. It is essential that you understand these rules and contact the International Center if you have any questions. Even unintentional failure to comply with any of these rules may lead you to lose your status and your J-1 benefits, including on-campus employment and practical training privileges.
Note: J-1 students at Tufts may be sponsored by either Tufts directly, or by an external organization such as the Institute of International Education, AMIDEAST, or LASPAU. If your sponsor is an external organization, you must contact them for information about how to maintain valid J-1 student status.
1. Maintain unexpired immigration documents
2. Maintain full-time enrollment at 12 SHUs (for undergraduate students) or 9 SHUs (for graduate students)
3. Make normal, full-time progress toward completing your degree or educational objective
4. Extend your DS-2019 BEFORE it expires if you need more time to complete your program
5. Update your US residential address and telephone number in SIS
6. Maintain J-1 health insurance coverage
7. Do not accept off-campus employment without authorization
8. Depart the US or take other steps to maintain your status before the end of your 'grace period'