Open Menu Close Menu Open Search Close Search

Yes! Sprintax will host nonresident tax-filing webinars throughout the filing season, which the Tufts community is encouraged to join.

It’s important to be aware that, as a nonresident student in the US, you’re legally required to file a tax form (8843) even if you didn’t work or receive income in the US if you were present in the US during the calendar year 2023.

And, if you earned income in the US in 2023, you must also file a Federal Tax Return and, in some cases, a State Tax Return. You will need to receive a form W-2, 1099, and/or 1042-S from each employer from whom you earned income prior to filing your tax return.

Additionally, if you were issued a US-source scholarship or financial aid for expenses beyond tuition and fees (i.e. financial aid that covered room and board, or a stipend that covered living expenses), you will need to file a Federal Tax Return. Do not file your tax return until you receive your form 1042-S indicating the taxable portion of your scholarship. Form 1042-S will be issued by the University by March 15, 2024.

A helpful summary of forms required for tax-filing can be found in our tax-filing instructions. However, there a few forms that would be helpful to familiarize yourself with before you start.

First, you will need a list of your travel dates to and from the US. A helpful summary that may contain most or all of your travel history can be found by downloading your I-94 Travel History Record.

Additionally, if you worked on campus during 2023, please be sure to download your Form W-2 from Tufts eServe: You will need it to file your tax return. If you worked off-campus in 2023, you will need to contact your employer if you have not yet received your Form W-2 from them.

IMPORTANT: If you have received a scholarship for room and board or a stipend for living expenses from Tufts University, or if you had income that was tax-exempt due to a tax treaty with your country of residence, you will receive an email with a link to download a Form 1042-S by March 15, 2024. If you received a scholarship for room/board or living expenses in 2023 and have not received an email to access your Form 1042-S, do not try to enter your scholarship information on your own! Please contact Tufts Support Services at tss@tufts.eduto check on the status of your Form 1042-S.

Sprintax can only prepare tax returns for students and scholars who are considered nonresidents for tax purposes by the IRS. Generally, students are considered nonresidents for their first five calendar years in the US, and scholars are considered nonresidents for their first two calendar years in the US. If you are not sure if you are considered a resident or nonresident for tax purposes, do not worry! You can enter your information in Sprintax for free to determine your tax residency status. If you are found to be a resident for tax purposes, you may use any tax-filing software or accountant available to US residents:*

**Those determined to be nonresidents should not use any software other than Sprintax, to avoid misfiling as a resident.**

The Tufts University code for Sprintax covers only the fee for filing a Federal Tax Return and/or Form 8843. Sprintax can determine if you must also file a State Tax Return and, if so, can prepare it for you for an additional fee. If you do not wish to use Sprintax for filing the State Tax Return, you may file separately on your own, while still using Sprintax for filing your Federal taxes for free.