Open Menu Close Menu Open Search Close Search

Updating Your Address

Under US immigration regulations, international students and scholars are required to update their US address information with the US government within 10 days of any change. Failure to update your address may have significant immigration consequences. Address updating methods can be done in various ways; however, updating your address with the US Post Office by itself is not enough. For address updating instructions, select the visa type and situation that applies to you.

Instructions by Visa Type and Status

Current F-1 / J-1 students should update their US address and contact information in SIS (Student Information System).

  • If you are staying in a Tufts residence hall, your US address will be updated automatically once you move in to your room; however, you may need to do a manual update if you move out of your residence hall, such as for summer vacations
  • If you update your address manually, enter your US residential address in the "Current Address" field - your "Home Address" should by your non-US international address
  • Enter a US phone number in your phone contact information

Log into SIS


F-1 students on post-completion Optional Practical Training (including the 24-month STEM Extension of OPT) can update their contact information through the International Center Portal. Once your updated address information is received, the International Center will update your SEVIS record.

Click to access the User's Guide for Address Updates using the International Center Portal.

If you are a J-1 scholar sponsored by Tufts, please update your address directly with the International Center. [Forthcoming in November 2019: online updating will be available using our International Center Portal.]

In addition, if you are employed by Tufts, you should also update your Tufts employee records through Employee Self-Service to ensure that your most recent address is on file with the University.


  • If you are a J-1 scholar sponsored by an outside organization such as IIE, AMIDEAST or LASPAU, you must provide your new address directly to your J-1 sponsor in addition to the International Center.

If you are in H-1B, TN, or other non-immigrant status, you must notify the Department of Homeland Security directly of your new address within ten days of any move.

  • Update your address with the Department of Homeland Security by completing USCIS Form AR-11

In addition, you should update your address in your Tufts employee records through Employee Self-Service.