As an F-1 student, you are required to follow certain rules in order to maintain valid immigration status. It is essential that you understand these rules and contact the International Center if you have any questions. Even unintentional failure to comply with any of these rules may lead you to lose your status and your F-1 benefits, including on-campus employment and practical training privileges.
1. Maintain unexpired immigration documents
2. Maintain full-time enrollment every required term (in most cases, fall and spring semesters)
3. Make normal, full-time progress toward completing your degree or educational objective
4. Extend your I-20 BEFORE it expires if you need more time to complete your program
5. Update your US residential address and telephone number in SIS
6. Do not accept off-campus employment without authorization
7. Depart the US or take other steps to maintain your status before the end of your 'grace period'
If you for any reason you fail to maintain valid F-1 student status during your studies, you may need to regain F-1 status. Read our Reinstatement to F-1 Status page for more information about your options for regaining valid F-1 status.