Open Menu Close Menu Open Search Close Search

Financial Requirements for F-1 and J-1 Students

When applying for a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019, you must show that you have adequate financial resources to cover your educational expenses, which includes tuition for full-time study, required fees, student health insurance, and living expenses. In general, students must document at least adequate resources for the first academic year (two semesters) of study. Students should also have a realistic plan about future years if the program of study is longer than one academic year. Please note that opportunities to get additional funds after starting your program - whether through on-campus employment, scholarships, or financial aid - may be extremely limited.

I - Review Your Estimate of Expenses (EOE) Table

When requesting your I-20 or DS-2019, you must provide the International Center with financial documents showing that you have resources that meet certain minimums as reflected on the Estimate of Expense (EOE) tables below. You should also carry these financial documents when applying for your F-1 or J-1 visa and traveling to the US as an F-1 or J-1 student.

The figures on the EOE tables refer to the minimum estimated costs for full-time study, typically calculated using the visa requirements of 12 credits / semester for undergraduate students and 9 credits / semester for graduate students. Your actual costs may be higher depending on different factors, such as the actual number of credits of coursework you take, your personal living needs and arrangements, and other factors. Note that the EOE tables also do not reflect the cost of traveling to Tufts nor vacation travel. For this reason, the International Center recommends that you budget additional funds above the EOE minimums.

Living costs in Medford and the Greater Boston area are among the highest in the United States. The estimated expenses for room and board listed here represent the minimum you might expect to pay for housing, utilities, and food. It's important to consider that finding affordable housing often requires living with roommates. Otherwise, your expenses could significantly exceed this estimate. We encourage students to plan and prepare for the possibility that your expenses may be higher than what is estimated here.

On-campus employment positions are limited, especially for graduate and professional students. If on-campus employment is not part of your Financial Aid package, you should not assume you will be able to earn income during your first year of study.

**Please note that Tufts tuition and fee rates reflected on the EOE tables are subject to approval by the Board of Trustees of Tufts College in May 2024. All figures are currently estimates only.

Family Members: If you will be joined by F-2 or J-2 family members while at Tufts, you must show an additional $6,000 per year for your spouse and $3,600 per year for each unmarried dependent child under the age of 21. Eligibility for F-2 or J-2 dependent status is restricted to your legal spouse and/or unmarried dependent minor children under 21.

Note that the Estimate of Expenses tables reflect the estimated amount for your first year of study in your Tufts program. If your program will last longer than one academic year, you should also develop a realistic financial plan for future years. While you only need to show evidence of financial resources for the first year in order to qualify for your visa certificate, it is strongly advisable that you consider future years as well when planning for your Tufts education.

II - Prepare Financial Documents and Affidavits

Once you have reviewed your estimate of expenses, you will need to prepare financial documents that show you have enough funds to cover your expenses while at Tufts. Failure to provide acceptable financial documents will lead to delays in the issuance of your I-20 / DS-2019 visa certificate.

Important Note: the information on the financial documents you provide will be included in your US Homeland Security SEVIS record and used to certify your eligibility for your F-1 / J-1 visa. By submitting these documents to the International Center, you are attesting to the availability of financial resources to fully support your education at Tufts.  Knowingly providing documents that are not genuine, accurate or representative of your financial means and resources may lead to serious immigration consequences, including a finding of visa fraud and/or termination of your ability to enter or remain in the US as an F-1 or J-1 student.

Types of Financial Documents Accepted

Financial documents should be prepared as clear PDF or JPEG files and can include any combination of the following. Documents should be in English or accompanied by an official or unofficial translation. Documents submitted to the International Center should be no more than six months old on the date of submission.

  • Personal or family bank statement, in English with names clearly printed
  • Scholarship letter(s) from government sources, your Tufts department, or other scholarship-granting agencies, clearly indicating your name, scholarship year or dates, and covered amounts
  • Financial aid awards from Tufts (Tufts email or official letter required)
  • TUSDM Resident Stipend Confirmation Letter (Coordinate with your department to obtain this letter)
  • Approved loans (confirmation of loan approval, not just application, required)

The following types of documents are NOT accepted for purposes of establishing eligibility for F-1 / J-1 status:

  • income tax or salary statements
  • property deeds or rental agreements
  • investment or stock portfolios
  • promissory notes
  • lines of credit from credit cards
  • statements from chartered accountants
  • other statements regarding assets that are not available in liquid cash amounts
Affidavit of Support: You are required to download and complete the Financial Affidavit of Support if you are receiving financial support from a third party individual or organization. Complete the affidavit and attach it to your financial documents when submitting your visa document request if one or both of the following situations applies:
  1. Your studies at Tufts are being financially supported by individual family members (including parents and relatives) or other private individuals (such as friends) - the affidavit must also be signed by the individual sponsor
  2. You studies at Tufts are being financially supported through a scholarship, fellowship, loan, grant, or financial aid package provided by a third party, non-Tufts organization - examples include a home government scholarship, home country university or employer, an international organization, or other private organization (including educational loan provider)

You do NOT need to submit the affidavit if your financial resources are from your own personal accounts and/or from a Tufts University letter scholarship, grant, or financial aid package. In these situations, a personal bank statement and/or a Tufts scholarship or financial aid award letter are sufficient.

Financial Documentation Cover Sheet (Optional): If you are submitting multiple financial documents, you can also include an optional Financial Documentation Cover Sheet that summarizes the financial documents you are providing and the amounts reflected in each document. This will assist International Center staff in reviewing your financial documents and will help to expedite processing of your I-20 request.

Once you are ready, return to the I-20 / DS-2019 Request page.