Open Menu Close Menu Open Search Close Search

Travel Emergencies: General Information

If you are an international student, scholar or employee and are facing a travel emergency, please read through the information below. Depending on your individual situation and the nature of the emergency, different steps may be required.

Emergency Travel Situations

Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 is Lost or Missing or Does Not Have Valid Travel Signature

In order to return to the US as an F-1 international student or as a J-1 exchange visitor, you must present (in addition to your passport and a valid F-1 or J-1 entry visa) a valid Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 that has a travel signature from an International Center advisor. Travel signatures can be found in the Travel Endorsement section on Page 2 for Form I-20, and in the bottom right-hand corner of Page 1 for Form DS-2019.

Travel signatures are valid for up to one year for currently enrolled F-1 students and J-1 exchange visitors, or until the I-20 or DS-2019 has expired, whichever comes first. For F-1 students on post-completion Optional Practical Training, travel signatures are valid for only six months.

If your I-20 or DS-2019 is missing or lost, or if it lacks a valid or up-to-date travel signature, you can request a replacement I-20 to be sent to you. If there is not enough time for a replacement I-20 to be sent to you, read the instructions below regarding "Form I-515A".

Obtaining a Replacement I-20/DS-2019 or Travel Signature from Overseas

If you are outside the US and discover your Form I-20 (or DS-2019) has been lost, or that your document is missing an updated travel signature, you can request a new I-20 or DS-2019 with an updated travel signature from the International Center. To request a replacement form with an updated travel signature,

  • Submit an online request for a Travel Signature through our Travel Signatures page
  • If there is sufficient time, the International Center will send you an updated I-20 or DS-2019 with a travel signature.
    • For F-1 students, I-20s may now be delivered to you electronically. Once you receive the electronic I-20, print it out and sign it at the bottom of page 1.
    • For J-1 students and scholars, you must request express mail delivery of your new DS-2019.  Follow the express mail instructions on this web site.
  • If there is not sufficient time before your expected return date, please read the information below about "Form I-515A"

Form I-515A: 30 Day Admission into US

In certain circumstances, US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) may choose to allow you to enter the US as an F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor, even if you are missing your Form I-20 or DS-2019, or if your I-20/DS-2019 does not have a valid travel signature. In these cases, you may ask the CBP officer to issue Form I-515A to you, which will allow you to enter the US for a period of thirty (30) days. During this 30-day period, you must submit additional evidence to the US Department of Homeland Security. Report to an International Center location immediately following your return to Tufts so that we can assist you in having the 30-day limitation removed. Failure to respond within the 30-day period may lead to your losing your status and being found unlawfully present in the US.