Open Menu Close Menu Open Search Close Search

F-1 International Organization Internship

F-1 students who are offered an internship by an international organization may apply to the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) for employment authorization to work with the organization.


  • You may apply at any time once you are in F-1 status (no waiting period required)
  • You must be able to maintain full-time enrollment and make normal progress toward your degree objective even while working for the organization
  • You have a valid, unexpired passport and Form I-20
  • You must have a written internship offer from an international organization recognized by the International Organization Immunities Act (see 8 CFR 316.20, subsection (c) for a comprehensive list)


  • In general, you should work no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session, inclusive of any on-campus jobs; full-time employment over 20 hours per week is permitted during summer vacation periods
  • Authorization is usually granted by USCIS for no more than one year at a time, but repeat applications are permitted as long as you are maintaining valid F-1 student status or until you complete your studies, whichever comes first
  • The international organization internship does not necessarily have to be directly related to your major
  • You may not accept employment until you have been authorized to do so by USCIS via receipt of an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card
  • This type of employment authorization does not affect your eligibility for curricular practical training or optional practical training

Application Procedure